On Washington’s Birthday, February 22, 1921, the Los Angeles Country Club officially opened its new William Herbert Fowler designed South course.
Fowler was asked to keep as many of the existing grass fairways and grass greens from the original 1911 LACC Beverly links in his plans when designing two new 18-hole courses.
By 1920 the club had acquired additional land south of Wilshire Boulevard and Fowler remodeled the front nine and added nine new holes, seven of them on the new land and two north of Wilshire, to make the new South course. He also redesigned six old holes north of Wilshire, and added twelve new ones to make the North course that opened in August 1921.
The South course lasted through many iterations until it was redesigned in 2015 by Gil Hanse who retained parts of some original holes that we can still enjoy today!
Via the Golf Historical Society
In the fall of 1897, a group of Los Angeles residents organized the Los Angeles Golf Club, and a 16-acre (6.5 ha) lot was leased at the corner of Pico and Alvarado streets (now part of the Alvarado Terrace Historic District) for a nine-hole golf course. Called “The Windmill Links,” the course was named for a makeshift clubhouse crafted from the bottom of an abandoned windmill. Through the middle of 1898, this site served as the club’s home until the course became too crowded. The club was removed to Pico Heights, at Hobart and 16th streets. The new home was named “The Convent Links” for its location behind a convent near Rosedale Cemetery. Again, nine holes were laid out for play, but by the spring of 1899, this course and clubhouse had also become too restricted for play.
The search committee for a new site, consisting of the club founders Joe Sartori and Ed Tufts, found the club’s new home just 0.2 miles (300 m) west, on the northeast corner of Pico and Western. The clubhouse was transported intact to a new site in Beverly Hills, and it was expanded there. The club also laid out an 18-hole course. The club reopened on May 30, 1911. It now has 36 holes of golf, and tennis courts. The original golf course was laid out by Joe Sartori, Ed Tufts, Norman Macbeth, and Charles Orr. Later, the courses were redesigned by Herbert Fowler and George C. Thomas, Jr., and again by Thomas with William P. Bell in 1927–28.
Via LACC on Wikipedia