In the fall of 1897, a group of Los Angeles residents organized the Los Angeles Golf Club, and a 16-acre (6.5 ha) lot was leased at the corner of Pico and Alvarado streets (now part of the Alvarado Terrace Historic District) for a nine-hole golf course. Called “The Windmill Links,” the course was named for a makeshift clubhouse crafted from the bottom of an abandoned windmill. Through the middle of 1898, this site served as the club’s home until the course became too crowded. The club was removed to Pico Heights, at Hobart and 16th streets. The new home was named “The Convent Links” for its location behind a convent near Rosedale Cemetery. Again, nine holes were laid out for play, but by the spring of 1899, this course and clubhouse had also become too restricted for play.
The search committee for a new site, consisting of the club founders Joe Sartori and Ed Tufts, found the club’s new home just 0.2 miles (300 m) west, on the northeast corner of Pico and Western. The clubhouse was transported intact to a new site in Beverly Hills, and it was expanded there. The club also laid out an 18-hole course. The club reopened on May 30, 1911. It now has 36 holes of golf, and tennis courts. The original golf course was laid out by Joe Sartori, Ed Tufts, Norman Macbeth, and Charles Orr. Later, the courses were redesigned by Herbert Fowler and George C. Thomas, Jr., and again by Thomas with William P. Bell in 1927–28.
2023 U.S. Open
On July 22, 2015, the United States Golf Association (USGA) announced that Los Angeles Country Club was selected to host the 123rd U.S. Open in June 2023. The first major championship held at the club, it will be the first in Los Angeles area in 28 years, and the area’s first U.S Open in 75 years.
Via LACC on Wikipedia
There was so much praise heaped on George Thomas for laying out the North course that the designing architect, Herbert Fowler, got more than a bit lost in the press releases. Fowler was a very busy man that summer, having completed the South and North courses for LACC, the Ambassador-Rancho Golf Club on Pico, and the redesigns of Del Monte #1 and #2 (Pebble Beach), to name a few.
Today the North course is a combination of the original Fowler design; George Thomas and William Bell’s redesign of 1928; John Harbottle’s remodel, and the 2010 Gil Hanse restoration, mostly to the 1928 Fowler/Thomas/Bell iteration.
Although known as a Thomas course, the North was originally designed by W. Herbert Fowler, with Thomas heading the Greens committee for the North only. Ed Tufts was Greens chairman and overseer of the South course. Fowler also suggested they be named the North and South courses.
At its first century the North course still has 12-13 original holes designed by Fowler. Thomas and Bell built five new holes in 1928, and Hanse restored them all in 2010, plus the old Fowler par three 17th (replaced in 1928), which is now an extra hole.