Founded 126 years ago by a group of Chicago businessmen on March 29, 1897, it was originally the Glen View Golf and Polo Club; its name was shortened a few years later to the Glen View Club. The club was situated so as to be close to a commuter railroad from Chicago, and the village of Golf got its name from the simple sign – “Golf” – that directed riders from the makeshift station to the course.
In 1899, Glen View Club was one of the founding clubs of the Western Golf Association and hosted the inaugural Western Open and Western Amateur tournaments that same year. Other notable founding clubs included Chicago Golf Club, Skokie Country Club, Onwentsia Club, and Evanston Golf Club.
Via the Glen View Club on Wikipedia