The first course required “clearing of the ground” and this suggests there was no pre-existing course. The Club’s meagre finances prevented them from hiring a course architect so it was simply set out on the ground as it lay. Only 15 holes were laid and sited seaward of the large wall visible today from the clubhouse. The course became known as Broxmouth Links, or East Links. In these days the three cottages called The Vaults (its ruins stand today by the 7th green) were occupied by large fisher families.
A second course of 18 holes (4,701 yards) was set out in 1880. This course turned for home at the current 8th green.
A third course of 4,913 yards was set out in 1894 when Old Tom Morris altered seven holes and play was extended to today’s 10th green.
A fourth course of 5,740 yards was set out in 1905 when the Deer Park land was used. Today this extra land is occupied by holes 1,2,3 and 18.
Finally, in 1922-24, famous golfers James Braid (five times Open champion) and Ben Sayers of North Berwick laid out the course we largely play today, lengthening it to 6,425 yards. In 2008 the course was further extended to 6,597 yards.
Via Dunbar GC