In late 1919, Harry Goldstine and Associates purchased a tract of 139 acres on the northwest corner of Devon Avenue and Pulaski Road in what was then the village of Morton Grove, IL for $166,800. It was originally planned for residential development, but a group of North Side families persuaded Goldstine that the land would be better used as a golf club.
The property was purchased by this group at its original cost, and Bryn Mawr Country Club was created. An 18-hole championship golf course was designed by William Langford, and a rambling country style frame building-already on the property-was converted into the first clubhouse. Goldstine became the club’s first president.
In 1926, construction began on a new English Tudor clubhouse that was completed in 1927. For decades, the club and its membership thrived, surviving in good times and bad, even the Great Depression. During World War II, 124 members served in the armed forces, five of whom lost their lives. Following the war, second and third generation Bryn Mawr families joined the club.
Throughout its history, Bryn Mawr has cherished its heritage. While maintaining the continuity of its mission as one of the premier clubs in the country, Bryn Mawr also has embraced innovation and growth. Today it remains one of the finest private clubs in the Chicago area.
Via Bryn Mawr CC