Briarwood Country Club was originally built in 1920-1921 by H.S. Colt. Harry Colt was a renowned architect for his time. During his time he did a great amount of work with 3 other very renowned architects such as; Charles Alison, John Morrison, and Alister MacKensie (Architect of Augusta National). For the most part Briarwood still has a good amount of the original feel. The property that Briarwood encompasses is a total of 150 acres, 135 of those being the golf course. Over the years some changes have been made to the property to keep things relevant, though 12 greens are still from the original construction. Over the years the club has turned into your normal parkland style course, meaning trees lining the fairways. As the game and technology have evolved the golf course has as well. Architect, Mark Mungeam has consulted over the last 10-15 years helping make changes to address distance, greens conditions expectation, and restoration. “Gold” tees were added to stretch the course to just over 7000 yards and greens were regrassed to carry consistent greens speeds. On a daily basis Briarwood strives for the best conditions possible, we have a dedicated grounds crew which tasks great pride in each detail on the golf course. Briarwood is becoming one of the best conditioned course in the North Shore, let alone all of Chicago.
Via Briarwood CC